July Veggies


So here is my garden at a glance. :) This is the night I planted everything in the pouring rain! haha I work so well in the rain. It is weird! The pepper in this picture is 3 times this size now and all the plants are growing so tall! I will post an after picture soon. Vegetables aren't famous for being on everybody's top 10 favorite foods but I encourage you to make a point to eat at least 3 of these veggies before July ends! I will also :) See below for some tips on how to eat more veggies :)



Vegetables: Tomatoes, summer squash, cucumbers, corn, green beans, lettuce


My tomato plants are growing quickly and I love seeing them everyday get taller and taller. Is this what it is like to have kids? lololol jk......I actually used to hate tomatoes but now I like them somewhat. E eats them by the slice but I just can't do it. BUT I love them chopped up in salsa, on pizza, and my most favorite in BRUSCHETTA! This is the best recipe I have ever tasted :) Follow it to the T. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summer squash is so good for a fresh and quick side dish. Slice it up and sauté it with onions, little soy sauce, garlic, and YUM. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had cucumbers this evening fresh out of E's mom's garden! They went perfect with the jerk chicken she made to balance out the spice. I planted burpless cucumbers in my garden and they haven't started flourishing yet. We all have eaten cucumbers in our salads but this Cucumber, corn and parmesan salad looks great!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

If you haven't ever tried just eating corn plain with no salt, pepper, butter, or anything else you think of, TRY IT NOW! Nuff said about that ;).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Green beans used to be the only vegetable I would eat as a child. I still love them just as much. Beans straight off the vine I like to chop in 1" pieces and sauté with olive oil and raviolis. I know that sounds odd but raviolis and green beans is one of my favorite combinations. :D As a child I ate french style green beans by the can! FANTASTIC! I'm actually craving them writing about it right now. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love a good salad but there are others ways to enjoy lettuce! You can try lettuce wraps, grilling lettuce, and I am trying this BLT pasta salad recipe for sure!!! 

1) Plan some meals around a vegetable main dish, such as a vegetable stir-fry or soup. Then add other foods to complement it.
2) Try a main dish salad for lunch. Go light on the salad dressing.
3) Include a green salad with your dinner every night. 
4) Shred carrots or zucchini into meatloaf, casseroles, quick breads, and muffins. 
5) Include chopped vegetables in pasta sauce or lasagna. 
6) Order a veggie pizza with toppings like mushrooms, green peppers, and onions, and ask for extra veggies.
7) Use pureed, cooked vegetables such as potatoes to thicken stews, soups and gravies. These add flavor, nutrients, and texture.
8) Grill vegetable kabobs as part of a barbecue meal. Try tomatoes, mushrooms, green peppers, and onions.
9) Decorate plates or serving dishes with vegetable slices.
10) Buy canned vegetables labeled "reduced sodium," "low sodium," or "no salt added." If you want to add a little salt it will likely be less than the amount in the regular canned product.



post signature

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment